About the Games
What is the Sainsbury's School Games?
The Sainsbury's School Games is a unique opportunity to motivate and inspire millions of young people across the country to take part in more competitive school sport.
The Games are made up of three levels of activity: competition in schools, between schools, and at a county/area level:
• Intra-school (Level 1) - sporting competition for all students in school through intra-school competition
• Inter-school (Level 2) - individuals and teams are selected to represent their schools in local inter-school competitions
• Sainsbury's School Games Festivals (Level 3) – the county/area will stage multi-sport Sainsbury's School Games Festivals as a culmination of year-round school sport competition
The Games are designed to build on the magic of 2012 to enable every school and child to participate in competitive sport, including meaningful opportunities for disabled youngsters.
Nationally and locally the Sainsbury's School Games is being delivered through partnerships. The national partnership is made up of:
- the Department for Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS), which has overall policy leadership, supported by the Department for Education (DofE) and the Department of Health (DOH);
- Sport England, which is the Lottery distributor and are supporting the engagement of Sports Governing Bodies and County Sports Partnerships;
- the Youth Sport Trust, the landscape lead organisation for school sport, which has been commissioned by Sport England to provide development support to schools, sports and other local partners.
Over £128m of Lottery and Government funding is being invested to support the School Games. This includes: up to £35.5m Lottery funding from Sport England between 2010-15; £28.4m exchequer funding from the Department of Health and Sport England to fund 450 School Games Organisers (SGOs) and Change4Life Clubs.
At a local level, the Sainsbury's School Games will be delivered by schools, clubs, county sports partnerships and other local partners. Local Organising Committees (LOCs) are being set up, chaired by Head Teachers, to oversee the county festivals. County sports partnerships have an important role to play in helping to stage the festivals.
Make sure your school is involved in the Sainsbury's School Games – register now.
Let's get social!
Want up to date content relating to intra-school, inter-school and Sainsbury's School Games Festivals?
Has your school registered yet? The Sainsbury's School Games is a celebration of competitive sport that will involve all young people in years 3 to 13, of all abilities and backgrounds. Don’t miss out on your school being involved. Registration is open for schools in England.